Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Peacemakers

An article in the San Francisco Chronicle caught my eye this morning: Peacemakers to walk most violent areas. State Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata has raised private funding to train East Oakland residents to be peacemakers on their own streets. Each of the people being trained has lost multiple family members or friends to violence in Oakland. The beginning of the article suggests the goal is to "talk criminals into changing their ways" and "help parolees adjust to life outside prison". Later on the article quotes Perata:

Perata said that too often outsiders -- be they foundations or politicians -- come into East Oakland and dictate what the community should be doing. With private funding, Perata believes the peacemakers will be freer to define their own ambitions and expectations.

"The key is to have indigenous peacekeepers -- guys from the community who know what it's like on the street to go out and try to resolve conflicts," he said. "You'd live a long life before you came up with a concept like this in Sacramento."

The theme I'm picking up on is a recognition that the people most likely to come up with creative solutions to issues of suffering and injustice within a community are the very people living and suffering in that community. They are the most invested and the most knowledgeable.

As I look for ways that I can work for justice and love my neighbors this is a reminder for me to be humble, to not assume I have the answer to someone's problem, but rather to walk beside people.

The final sentence in this article also caught my attention:

"I've got no Jesus complex," Perata said. "Hopefully, we'll change the lives of a few people who'll go on to change a few more. Otherwise, the problem is too overwhelming."

The problem is indeed overwhelming. I prefer to think of having a "Jesus complex" not as thinking that I could be Jesus but remembering that Jesus can provide me with the strength and hope I'll need to face problems and suffering and do something that is helpful.

28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

- Isaiah 40: 28-31

No comments: